GOVERNMENT RELATIONS SPECIALIST SENIOR
Primary Location: 1550 W Deer Valley Rd, Phoenix,AZ US
Division: Cox Communications Inc
Job Level: Individual Contributor
Travel: Yes, 5 % of the Time
Shift: Day Job
Requisition Number: 1911606
This role is responsible for coordinating and supporting key government relations programs and/or functions, interfacing with government authorities and representatives, ensuring compliance with external government regulations and the Company’s internal regulatory policies, resolving escalated government-referred requests and complaints, conducting necessary research and analysis to prepare correspondence, reports, and action plans, and coordinating special projects relating to government relations and/or regulatory compliance.
- Assists internal customers in understanding and complying with laws and regulations and resolving identified issues/problems. Participates in company annual internal audits. (e.g. FCC public file)
- Ensures local municipality confidence in company’s ability to comply with ordinance and franchise requirements and, if required, PUC confidence in company to comply with telephony regulations and tariffs.
- Engages in cross-training to both learn and teach, to ensure the adequate training and development of the team guaranteeing the long-term regulatory compliance and performance of the company.
- Develops and manages municipal relationships as directed.
- Provides system updates and topical briefings to local officials.
- Assists in negotiation of local cable licenses, as directed.
- If qualified and directed by leadership, may represent and advocate on Cox’s behalf before external groups as directed. May be required to register as a lobbyist.
- If qualified, may represent the Company in small claims court.
- Ensures timely application and renewal of local and/or state licenses and certifications required for specific business operation activities, tax collection and sales activities. (e.g. sales tax collection, door to door sales activities, home security services, general business licenses)
- Assists leadership with identifying and researching public policy issues to enable the company to take proactive positions on issues. Resources include monitoring relevant Internet sites, blogs, trade publications and other news sources.
- May assist in PAC activities as directed.
- May assist in tracking political contributions where applicable.
- May assist in employee political engagement programs and event coordination (e.g. educational events, employee grassroots advocacy activities, etc.)
- May assist in resolving escalated customer service issues.
- May assist in managing the departmental budget including payables.
- May assist in managing courtesy accounts, where applicable.
- Supports and/or engages in collateral duties and additional projects as assigned.
- 2 or more years of experience required in related field (i.e. Public Relations, Communications, Government Affairs) and/or 3 or more years working for Cox in a relevant role.
- Requires strong knowledge of MS Office applications, i.e. Word, Excel, Outlook, PowerPoint, etc.
- Excellent customer service skills, verbal and written communication skills, multi-tasking, time management, organization and collaboration skills to work effectively throughout the organization and the community
- BS/BA degree in related discipline strongly desired (i.e. Political Science, Marketing, Business, Public Relations, Communications, etc.)
About Cox Communications
Cox Communications is committed to creating meaningful moments of human connection through broadband applications and services. The largest private telecom company in America, we proudly serve six million homes and businesses across 18 states. We're dedicated to empowering others to build a better future and celebrate diverse products, people, suppliers, communities and the characteristics that makes each one unique. Cox Communications is the largest division of Cox Enterprises, a family-owned business founded in 1898 by Governor James M. Cox.
Cox is an Equal Employment Opportunity employer - All qualified applicants/employees will receive consideration for employment without regard to that individual's age, race, color, religion or creed, national origin or ancestry, sex (including pregnancy), sexual orientation, gender, gender identity, physical or mental disability, veteran status, genetic information, ethnicity, citizenship, or any other characteristic protected by law.
Statement to ALL Third-Party Agencies and Similar Organizations: Cox accepts resumes only from agencies with which we formally engage their services. Please do not forward resumes to our applicant tracking system, Cox employees, Cox hiring manager, or send to any Cox facility. Cox is not responsible for any fees or charges associated with unsolicited resumes.
Job ID: 1911606